Monday, February 22, 2016

Heart Shaped Placemats


One of the things I'd like to accomplish this year is making a themed set of placemats for my table. I figured this would be good sewing practice, festive and useful. (I have a glass table and I hate the clinking of the plates on the table.)

I struggled with this for a few weeks. I couldn't figure out how to do the ideas in my head. I bought this super cute layer cake, full of festive, but not super mushy fabrics, to help get the creative juices flowing. It might have helped, if I weren't sick in bed for a week. Seriously people, the flu sucks. 

Anyway, the placemats finally got finished. Even if it is after Valentine's Day, I at least finished them in the correct month. LOL 

I started off with a 4patch and then cut into them, diagonally, twice. Then mixed them all up and sewed them together. This added a bit of randomness to the piecing. 


I kept a 4patch on the back to keep it simple.



I used felt for the batting. Instead of quilting and binding it, I sewed it right sides together and flipped it out. I sewed along the edge of the heart to give it a finished look and to secure the felt on the inside.



I had one small problem with this project. I had a small pucker at the top of all the hearts once I turned them out. I have no idea why it happened, but it happened to all of them. Luckily I was able to press most of it out, but it's something I will be aware of the next time I sew heart shapes.

No comments:

Post a Comment