Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Update on Awesome Stitches Art Quilt



I've been slowly working on this awesome art quilt. I decided it had enough decorative stitches and couching. It was time to quilt this baby. I was nervous because I was loving the way it was coming along and I was afraid to mess it up with crumby quilting. Either by choosing the wrong style or by just doing a crappy job. Free motion quilting takes a lot of practice and I'm still very much a novice at it. 
So, I made my quilt sandwich and prepared myself....and then I waited a week...I was still scared. LOL

I used 2 layers of quilt batting and a solid gray backing fabric. 


I had 5 layers of fabric going on...top layer of fabric, heavy stabilizer, 2 layers of batting, and backing fabric. I pressed it and pinned it well. The batting I usually use is a fusible batting, but with all the layers, it wasn't sticking very well, so I had to pin around the edges.

Finally, I just went for it. I used my free motion spring foot and lowered my feed dogs.

Here, is the result!! Totally not perfect. Like I said, I'm still honing my skills. That being said, I'm really proud of how it came out. My stitches are much more consistent and the whole process flowed very nicely. 


Now, all I need to do is add binding and beads....yes! I said beads! I've got some pretty iridescent beads and sequins to add to this baby. It's gonna be awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment