Saturday, April 11, 2015

Succulent Garden


So, I have to be honest...I have a black thumb. I usually kill all plants I come in contact with. The more I love them, the faster they die. It really sucks because I love houseplants. I really do, but you wouldn't know that with my track record. 

Anyway, every spring, (like clockwork) I have this primal urge to buy plants and plant them. For us Arizonans, this happens in February. Seriously, it's so bad, by darling husband dreads taking me to the home improvement stores this time of year. I see the seed isle, (better known in my house as the isle of disappointment) and I go crazy. 

This year, I thought I'd change things up and try a succulent garden. I do live in the desert after all. I was inspired by a friend of mine who had just planted one herself. So, I went to the store and bought a bunch of different succulents. I already had the whiskey barrel (from last years disappointing garden adventure) so I didn't need anything more then cactus soil.

I tried to get a variety of succulents. Different colors and textures. I even separated many of them to get more then one plant from each pot. It worked out very well and I was able to spread out my plants, thus saving money. A good thing to note, succulents will grow from leaf clippings, so you can always get more from one plant. I honestly don't think I will ever have to buy any more succulents.


Here it is after planting. Those taller ones in the back have straightened up and they are all filling out nicely. This planter sits next to our front door where it only gets a little light in the morning. Being desert plants, they don't seem to mind when I forget to water them. LOL 


I planted these in February, and they are thriving! I'm so proud! LOL Hopefully, they make it thru the summer. The good thing is, they are right by the front door, so I see them every day. If they start looking sad, I can take care of it right away. 


No comments:

Post a Comment