Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Vintage Card Case (Maui Wedding Accessories Part 3!)

I love wedding card boxes and cases. They are one of my favorite accessories. Why? Well, for one, I'm an odd duck, and two, they can be personalized so easily. You really can use almost anything to make one. Now, the card case I made has been done before.  I've seen some lovely variations to them, and each take is different and unique. My sister is more modern then vintage, but when I asked her how she would feel about an old suitcase as her card box, she was thrilled. She liked the idea because it could be used as a keepsake box after the wedding. So, now that I had the go ahead, I started searching for old suitcases that would work for this particular application. That ended up being harder then I thought. I found plenty of cases, but they were either to beat up, to big or to small. I found this one, at an antique shop and it was in great shape and just about the size I was looking for. I bought it and went home to start making it a card case.

This was the perfect suitcase! It was in great condition and just the right size.


This is what I did with it.


I added some decorative fishing netting, and made some tags. She added some shells to the inside, the day of the reception, which helped pull it all together.

This was the part I stressed over....yep.  It was a one shot kinda deal. If I messed it up, the whole thing was ruined. I don't have chicken scratch for handwriting, but I'm not a professional calligraphy artist either.  I'm not kidding when I say I mulled over this for a week before giving it a go. First, very lightly with pencil (and I did that for about 3 days) and then, finally, with paint. 

I'd say it turned out pretty well. What do you think?

Those are all the things I made for the actual wedding. I've got so much more in store, check back tomorrow to see some bridal shower goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment