Monday, February 23, 2015

Maui Wedding Accessories, Part 2!

As my sister was planning her wedding, she decided she wanted something a little different for her bridesmaids to carry, she also wanted to keep it in budget. She really wanted bouquets, but didn't want to pay the astronomical amount for them in Hawaii. I completely understood and suggested making them instead. She isn't big on silk flowers, so I suggested shell bouquets. She absolutely loved the idea, and asked me if I could help her. Ummm.. of course!! I'll jump at any chance I get to make a bouquet! LOL But I'm a little weird like that. HAHA

This is what I came up with and she approved. 


 Some shells, toothpicks and hot glue, is how I made the shells stick to the bouquet holder. Then, I strung some pearls on wire and stuck those in. It still needed something, so I added some organza ribbon in little tufts as filler. I used wire ribbon for framing and around the handle. Then I sprayed the whole thing with pearl glimmer mist. That really made it. Seriously, you can't see it very well in the pictures, but the addition of the glimmer mist made the whole thing sparkle and shine. It added a very elegant quality to the shells.


Once the bouquets were finished, we moved on to the groomsmen boutonnieres. I found these cut shells that were perfect! These were so simple to make. One, cut shell, a satin bow, and one more shell on top. Add a pin to the back and they were done. I did spray these with the glimmer mist also.
 My sister wanted the mothers to wear a corsage and our mother wasn't a big fan of the idea. To make everyone happy, we made these fun mother's corsages. Again, super simple to make. Instead of using one of those cheap corsage wristlets, we picked up gold costume bracelets and just glued the shell corsage to it. Both the mother of the bride and the mother of the groom loved the Hawaiian take on an old classic.
All in all, these were pretty fun to make. Figuring out how to add the shells to the bouquet was a little daunting at first, but I soon got the hang of it, and with my sister there to help assemble, we whipped all these  projects out in just a few hours. Making these together was one of my favorite parts of her wedding. I know it seems silly, but it was. 

Tomorrow I'll show you the vintage card case I made for her reception, here. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment